For 16+ years, I went the traditional career route, logging time at National Public Radio, the U.S. Department of Education, and by far the bulk of the time at political and cause marketing firm GMMB, a top-notch firm filled with wonderful people.
But at the age of 38, I walked away from all of that, embarking on a new life as an early retiree. My husband Mark did the same thing, leaving his nearly 20-year career in public opinion research, and now we’re living the dream in Lake Tahoe, California.
What my bio used to look like:
I still work, of course, but only on projects that speak to my soul, plenty of which are unpaid or minimally paid on behalf of service organizations I love.
- Our Next Life — award-winning early retirement blog
- The Fairer Cents — podcast with Kara Perez on women, money and equality
- Adventures in Early Retirement — forthcoming podcast on the fun that comes after beating the game
- Plus another biiiiiig one coming soon!
- Keynote speaker at Google NYC, Spring 2018
- Headline speaker at CampFI 2018
- Keynote speaker at Achieving the Dream, Spring 2017
- Keynote speaker at GED Testing Service conference, 2011
- Headline speaker for SoFi member and staff events
- Guest lecturer at University of Nevada, Reno
- Speaker at ComNet17
- Speaker at FinCon17
- Speaker at Lola Retreat 2017
- Featured in forthcoming Playing with FIRE documentary
Selected podcast appearances:
- So Money with Farnoosh Torabi
- Afford Anything with Paula Pant
- Mad Fientist
- Mo’ Money Podcast
- I taught yoga and spinning for 10 years
- I’ve run one marathon… slowly
- I go to Coachella every year and don’t care that I’m well above the average age
- I’m obsessed with finding the best gluten-free foods on the planet, and so far believe the best pizza is at Tony’s Napoletana in San Francisco, the best donuts are at Do-Rite Donuts in Chicago, all the best beers are from Ghostfish in Seattle, and Little Bird Cafe in Tokyo is downright amazing for everything.